Friday, December 24, 2004

How email changes vacations

Excerpt from an article in the New York Times, how email changes vacations, I have to say they definitely have a point since I'm also cleaning up my inbox now although I'm on holidays,... or maybe I'm just a workaholic. This will probably be one of my New Years resolutions, "do not answer email when you are on holidays"....

"Today's reliance on e-mail has changed the nature of vacation," said James E. Katz, director of the Center for Mobile Communication Studies at Rutgers University.

If you do clean your in-box, he said, you're "defeating the purpose of vacation, which is to get away from the office and do something different."

If you don't, "you have to work twice as hard when you come back," he said. "And while you are responding to those, new ones come flooding in." In some ways, he said, "you are punished for taking vacation, by out-of-control e-mails."

No comments: