Wednesday, February 25, 2009

SharePoint logs - Tracing Service lost trace events

When troubleshooting problems with SharePoint one of the first places to look is the SharePoint ULS logs (also see Troubleshooting errors for InfoPath forms deployed on SharePoint). Last week I noticed something weird in the ULS logs - the only thing which seemed to be logged was "Tracing service lost trace events" log entries. The first thing to try to solve this is restarting the Windows SharePoint Service Tracing service. It definitely did the trick for me ....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for this post. Although it didn't help me, I think it is a very useful post. The problem I am having is similar where the service stops tracking events however, when I try to restart the service, the service gets stuck in the stopping status and never starts up again. I then have to reboot the system, which is not something I like due to the fact that this is a production server. Once I do to restart the system, the service works for just a couple of hours and then stops tracing again

Have you heard of this or do you know how to forcefully restart the service?

Thanks for any help you provide.

MAV

Allen said...

I have exactly the same issue and have on open ticket with Microsoft. Either they know it's an issue and are trying to deflect me or they just think I am experiencing this in isolation as they aren't too keen to resolve the issue with me. : (

Anonymous said...

I am experiencing the same problem. Any resolution for this?

Anonymous said...

Restart the Windows SharePoint Services Tracing service via the Services console in Windows. (Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services)

Gaur Prakash Shukla said...

It did not help me either,My services went into stopping state...now I can't do anything thing except rebooting my server(which is not good on prod)..any idea why this is happening